Promoting engagement for the integration of refugees
BMEL launches national programme entitled "500 Land Initiatives"
Many rural regions in Germany offer good opportunities for the integration of refugees likely to remain in the country in the long term. Solidarity in a village community can give people who had to leave their homeland the courage to make a new start and provide them with social support. In the face of demographic change, integrating these new neighbours also opens up new opportunities for the regions themselves – successful integration is to the benefit of everyone.
A great number of volunteers are working every day to help refugees participate in village life and make it easier for them to become part of the community. These dedicated volunteers make an important contribution to promoting good neighbourly relations. It is therefore even more important to support their civic commitment.
With its national programme "500 Land Initiatives" the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture is explicitly aiming to support volunteer work in rural regions. The programme focuses on initiatives promoting the sustainable integration of refugees in rural areas. "500 Land Initiatives" helps to make important purchases or pay for other necessary things and servicesl. Amounts from € 1,000 and € 10,000 can be granted for the promotion of projects or purchases. The initiative is part of the Federal Rural Development Scheme.
- As of:
- Understanding Farming - Facts and figures about German farming (PDF, 2 MB, not barrier-free)
- German Agriculture - Facts and Figures (PDF, 3 MB, not barrier-free)
- The German Federal Government Agriculture Report, 2011 (PDF, 3 MB, not barrier-free)
- Map Agriculture and Forestries in Germany (jpg, 409 KB, not barrier-free)
- Agricultural products in Germany at a glance (infographics)