Promoting Food Security and Nutrition together – the Bilateral Trust Fund with the FAO
Since 2002, the Federal Ministry of Agriculture (BMEL) supports projects of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to erradicate hunger and malnutrition through a Bilateral Trust Fund (BTF).
In addition to the annual financial contributions to the FAO, the BTF represents a voluntary contribution of Germany towards the implementation of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
With an annual budget of € 10 million, the BTF has provided more than € 142 million for a total of more than 118 projects since 2002.
Promoting food security and agriculture in rural areas
In order to leverage its financial means and achieve a wide impact, the BTF has set thematic and regional priorities. The projects aim at supporting the subject of "food security" at strategic level both in the FAO and in the partner countries. They are planned together with the FAO and structured in accordance with Germany’s government development policy guidelines, based on its support framework.
The main emphases of the BTF are:
- Supporting the implementation of the right to adequate food through the “Voluntary Guidelines” on the right to food in the context of national food security
- Improving tenure rights and equitable access to land, forest, water and fisheries and implementation of the "Voluntary Guidelines on the Responsible Governance of Tenure of Land, Fisheries and Forests"
- Reducing malnutrition and nutrient deficiencies though promotion of a balanced diet and nutrition education with vulnerable groups
- Adapting agriculture to climate change – bioenergy and food security
- Developing strategies for rural development and their mainstreaming in agricultural policies
- Promoting sustainable food systems in urban contexts to grant accessible food to all
The planning and implementation in a partner country are carried out in a joint process with the respective government and the target groups. The projects are developed with due regard to the social, ecological and economic sustainability objectives.