International Dialogue on Livestock Husbandry at the Berlin World Food Conference 2018 | GFFA
"Shaping the future of livestock – sustainably, responsibly, efficiently" – this is the motto of the Global Forum for Food and Agriculture (GFFA) which is to be held in Berlin from 18 to 20 January 2018.
For what is now the 10th time, representatives from politics, science, industry and civil society will gather to engage in an international dialogue on central issues regarding the future of the global agri-food industry.
Livestock husbandry: balancing increasing demand and the need for sustainability
Global population growth and greater prosperity are leading to increased demand for food of animal origin all over the world. Production needs to be raised significantly in order to meet this demand. It can also be assumed that trade with products of livestock husbandry will intensify considerably. At the same time, there are increased demands for environmentally friendly and climate-smart livestock production and for welfare-oriented animal husbandry. Dealing with animal-health risks requires enhanced international cooperation. Responses to these challenges will essentially determine the future of livestock husbandry, including its role as an important economic factor in many rural regions.
The debate at the GFFA will focus on the following key issues:
- the global market development with consideration of dietary and consumer trends
- the importance of livestock husbandry for food and nutrition security and as an economic factor in rural areas
- the promotion of animal welfare and animal health
- issues surrounding sustainable production (site-appropriate production and feedstuff supply, climate stewardship and sustainable stewardship of soil and water resources)
The events at GFFA 2018 will include:
- 18 January 2018: Kick-off event, Cooperation Market
- 19 January 2018: Expert panels, Cooperation Market and High-Level Panels
- 20 January 2018: International Business Panel Discussion organised by GFFA Berlin e.V. (by personal invitation)
Impetus for future developments in livestock production
The GFFA Berlin World Food Conference offers the chance to develop a better understanding of the challenges and opportunities for livestock production on the basis of international dialogue. In addition to this, we intend to identify potential solutions in a context of intensified international cooperation.
The many events carried out at GFFA 2018 will provide impetus for future developments in the area of agriculture and animal production at international level. The GFFA focuses on different aspects of food and nutrition security and has taken place annually during the International Green Week (IGW) in Berlin since 2009.